Insurance documentation for driving abroad following Brexit

The new post-Brexit agreement on travel in Europe requires all UK motorists driving in Europe from 1 January 2021, whether privately owned or part of a fleet, to carry a Green Card as proof of third-party motor insurance.

Why the need for a Green Card?

A Green Card is a European Economic Area (EEA) certification of insurance which provides motorists with evidence of the minimum level of compulsory motor insurance required by the law of the EEA country in which travel will take place.

Previously, as a member of the EU, a UK motorist was not required to show any additional motor insurance documents when travelling abroad.  However, in the event there is no agreement with the EU at the end of the transition period, it may be necessary to contact your insurer to obtain a Green Card if you plan on driving in Europe on or after 31 December 2020.

How do I get a Green Card?

Each insurer is obliged to provide a Green Card to their policyholders when requested.  Individual insurers have released their own guidance in relation to Green Cards and some may even have a cost associated when issuing but this varies from insurer to insurer.  You should contact your insurer as far in advance as possible from the date you require a green card to obtain more information from them.

Are there any additional requirements I need besides a Green Card?

With current uncertainty over the terms of the UK’s exit, it is important you keep up-to-date and monitor any guidance issued by both the Government and insurance bodies.  A number of requirements (such as, international driving licences, permits or vehicle identification) could be subject to change and it is essential you stay diligent to ensure you can continue travelling safely and smoothly.

You do not need a GB sticker if your number plate includes the GB identifier on its own or with the Union flag. But you will need to display a GB sticker clearly on the rear of your vehicle if your number plate has any of the following:

  • a Euro symbol
  • a national flag of England, Scotland or Wales
  • numbers and letters only – no flag or identifier

If you’re in Spain, Cyprus or Malta, you must display a GB sticker no matter what is on your number plate.

You’ll need to carry your V5C log book with you if you own the car. If it is a car you have hired or leased, then you will need to get a VE103 form to show you have permission to take it out of the UK.



1. What is a Green Card?

A Green Card* is a physical document that acts as evidence of compulsory motor insurance required by the law of the EEA country in which travel will take place.

They are not “cards” in the strict sense – they are paper documents (digital copies are not currently accepted).

*Black and White is the new GreenInsurers are now able to issue Green Cards that are in black ink on white paper and we will email these to you, so you can later print them in black ink on white paper. Issuing Green Cards in black ink on green paper is still permitted however all countries must recognise black on white Green Cards from visiting motorists.

2. Who needs a Green Card?

From 1 January 2021, a Green Card is required for each vehicle (including fleet/commercial vehicles) from the UK travelling in the EU, EEA, Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland.  For instance, you will require a Green Card if you are driving from Northern Ireland to the Republic of Ireland.

This is still the case even if your motor policy has a foreign use extension.

It applies to both personal and commercial use of vehicles. If you are towing a trailer or caravan you will need a separate Green Card for the trailer or caravan.

3. What if my policy renews with a different insurer whilst I am travelling abroad?

If you think you may be driving your vehicle in one of the countries listed above after 31 December 2020 and your policy renews whilst you are abroad, you will need to obtain a Green Card for both policies before you leave.  If you are insured with different motor insurers, you will require a Green Card from each insurer as applicable.

4. How do I obtain a Green Card?

Please contact us –  RS Risk Solutions by emailing your usual contact or phoning us on 01342 580106.  You should allow sufficient time for an insurer to process your request – please contact us at least 6 weeks ahead of your planned travel.

5. Will there be a charge for issuing a Green Card?

Insurers may make a charge for issuing a Green Card.  This will vary from insurer to insurer.

6. What happens if I travel without a Green Card?

From 1 January 2021, you may be breaking the law by driving your vehicle in Europe if you do not have a Green Card.  If drivers do not carry a Green Card their vehicle could be seized, they could face a fine and/or the risk of prosecution.

RS Risk Solutions Logo

If you would like advice or a quotation please contact us.

We are an independent and regulated UK insurance broker predominantly supporting clients in:
London and the South East including: Surrey, Kent, East Sussex, West Sussex, Ashford, Bexhill, Brighton, Caterham, Chatham, Copthorne, Crawley, Crowborough, Croydon, Dorking, East Grinstead, Eastbourne, Edenbridge, Forest Row, Gillingham, Gravesend, Hastings, Haywards Heath, Heathfield, Horley, Horsham, Hove, Kingston upon Thames, Leatherhead, Lewes, Lingfield, Maidstone, Newhaven, Oxted, Redhill, Reigate, Royal Tunbridge Wells, Seaford, Sevenoaks, Sutton, Swanley, Tonbridge, Uckfield, Woking, Worthing

More Articles

Two Important Questions for Holiday Homeowners

High Net Worth Home Insurance

What is it and who needs it? A high net worth home insurance policy benefits homeowners who have particularly valuable assets, such as, an expensive

Summer Safety Tips - RS Risk Solutions

Summer Safety Tips

We’re notoriously grumpy when summer serves us grey skies and wet weather, but do we know how to stay safe when the sun does put in

Equipment Breakdown Insurance Solutions

Equipment Breakdown

We live and work in a world where technology is constantly evolving; creating new forms of machinery and equipment, and applications for them. Whilst technology

Employers’ Liability Guide

Employers’ Liability Insurance   The majority of employers in the UK are required to purchase employers’ liability insurance to cover against liability for injury or

Payment Card Industry Compliance

It has become commonplace for consumers to purchase goods and services with debit or credit cards rather than cash. However, this convenience may not only

Keeping Your Data Secure

Data security is crucial for all businesses. Customer and client information, payment information, personal files, bank account details—this information is often impossible to replace if

Motor Trade Insurance

The motor trade industry is expansive. It encompasses businesses that sell, repair, trade, enhance or test vehicles. As the owner of a motor trade business,

RS Risk Solutions Logo

Request a callback

By providing the above information you consent to RS Risk Solutions Limited contacting you by any of the methods that you have provided details for. We will process this information in accordance with our privacy notice.

RS Risk Solutions uses cookies to monitor the performance of this website and improve user experience. To find out more about cookies, what they are and how we use them, please see our privacy notice, which also provides information on how to delete cookies from your hard drive.